I'm biking really really far this summer

Monday, July 16, 2007

Day 42 (Morro Bay - San Luis Obispo 32km)

Another gloriously early day! Damn is it cold and foggy in the mornings though...
Steven and I were making really good time with a nice tailwind and sunny skies as we cut inland towards San Luis Obispo when I noticed my rear brake was rubbing. Damn was it out of true! A serious wobble. I loosened the rear brake and kept going.
When we reached San Luis Obispo I saw a bike shop and decided to get it trued. The mechanic, Miles, worked his hardest for an hour to get back in to true, but 2 nipples stripped and we both agreed the only solution was a complete rebuild of the wheel with new spokes and rim since the rim itself was out of true...

So I said farewell to Steven, booked into the hostel, and brought the wheel to a bigger shop (owned by the same guy) that Miles suggested because of their expert wheel builder. They can luckily get it done in one day, but that means I basically lose two days as it will be done in the evening and I had a very short day today. Such is life and now I have another unexpected rest day. At least San Luis Obispo is a very nice town and the large bike shop is incredible. And my blog is up to date.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you for the blog journal.

Enjoy San Luis Obispo; and miss Canada please.

Your Canadian pal

Caroline said...

I miss you so very much Charlie, I love reading your blog you put so much of yourself into it. all my love Mum xxxx

Caroline said...

I wish I could talk to you today, tell you that Thoby is in Toronto visiting Charlie's Bike Joint and your little resting place. We miss you so much.xxxx

World Map Generator.  Create your own today!