I'm biking really really far this summer

Friday, July 27, 2007

Day 48 (San Diego rest day)

Since I consumed so much beer the previous night I spent most of the day recovering. I caught up on my blog and organized my return trip to Vancouver. Since my Canadian passport expired in May, flying back was not permitted, so I had to get a train ticket instead. It was a somewhat reasonable price, but was scheduled to start at 6:10am and included a 1.5 hour train ride, a 32.5 hour train ride and a 3.5 hour bus ride! The sleeper tickets were too expensive so I got a spot in coach.
For the rest of the day I wandered around Mission Beach. Since it was Sunday there was plenty to look at: The man with a razor thin goatee and a deep tan who sits on his million dollar beach front patio with his amazingly matching dog (think Fido commercials) on matching chairs each with their own umbrella. He had a special stone path built from the boardwalk so that he could invite pretty girls to talk to him from his elevated position. Slick!
Thousands of people running, surfing, swimming, drinking, tanning and playing horseshoes, soccer, whiffle ball, hackey sack, guitar, football, volleyball and wrestling. The cops were out in force driving around on the beach on quad bikes and in SUVs handing out dozens of tickets for smoking, drinking from glass bottles, drinking on the boardwalk and being drunk. It was pretty much a crazy scene.
I did as much walking as I could stand, but because of my hangover got a little weary of the sun and headed back after eating gyro. I spent the rest of the evening chatting with interesting hostel guests and workers, the most interesting being Jaime from England. She used to be a gang member hooligan and lived near my aunt's old house in Islington. She raised her sister since she was about 7 years old, and her boyfriend is locked up in jail for 7 years for an extremely messy and botched £500,000 jewel heist. She is past all that now and working at the hostel. Hardcore! She made me 'proper english tea by a proper english chick'
I went to bed as early as possible since I had to wake up at 4am to catch the train but ended up getting to sleep near midnight since there was basically a party going on in my room.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

What a rest day Charlie!!
You write so vividly
all my love
Mumxxxx

Caroline said...

Today would have been your 32nd Birthday my darling Charles. I miss you so much, we all do , everyone who loved you. We all love you forever. Your Mum , Dad and brother , you are always with us in our hearts forever xox

World Map Generator.  Create your own today!