I'm biking really really far this summer

Friday, July 27, 2007

Day 49 (San Diego - Vancouver train 16km)

I woke up at 4:20 am, shovelled back some yogurt and rode 16dm towards the train station in the dark as the sun was coming up.
I took the 6:10am Coast Surfliner train from San Diego to LA. There were plugs at every seat so I monitored our speed and progress on my GPS.
Once in LA I had to quickly box my bike to catch the 10:15 Coast Starlight train to Seattle. I had to deal with a particularly nasty and fat lady who was in charge of the checked baggage room and who obviously hated their life and wanted to take it out on me. I wore a smile and kept apologizing through so she was powerless over me. I got on the train and prepared for a very long journey.
Sitting next to 76 year old James from Chicago, I fell asleep quite quickly, but still saw some interesting things along the way: 2 campsite I stayed at, an ICBM launching tower, the biggest American flag "west of the Pacific" (there must be a bigger one in Hawaii?) and a space shuttle landing runway.
We encountered the first of our many long delays due to the fact that the freight companies own the tracks and have priority meaning we had to stop at nearly every sidetrack to let them pass.
I ate all my food and had to buy dinner on the train. I ended up being seated with 2 unaccompanied minors (12 years old and 14 years old girls) and a 19 year old guy. The youngest, Alyssa was a little firecracker who is headed for trouble. She says she has had 12 boyfriends. I asked her if I counted as number 13, but she didn't think it was funny. She says her mother forced her to get a bellybutton ring... Odd...
Before I went to sleep we were already a few hours behind schedule.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

You posted this entry on your Birthday , it is nearly that time again ....you would have been 27.
What would you have been doing and where would you have been living?
If only I had tried to persuade you to stay on that train all the way back to Toronto. I love you my darling boy and miss you so much , we all do, your family and your friends.
All my love Mum xxxxx

Caroline said...

It is your Birthday again my darling boy, you would have been 31 today. I can't believe that it is 8 years since I hugged you , spoke to you , kissed you goodbye. I sometimes think it is a wicked joke and you will walk through the door with that wonderful grin on your face and say " hi Mum , I am home" . We all miss you so much, everyone . All my love always Mum xxxxx

Caroline said...

Yesterday you would have been 36, Thoby is 40 now, I can’t believe it.
I miss you so much , my darling boy , we all do ,everyone who knew you.
You would have been a wonderful Uncle to your little namesake, she would have loved you too.
All my love, your Mum

World Map Generator.  Create your own today!